If you have been affected by sexual misconduct, it may be hard to know what to do or how to feel. That's okay.  

What happened was not your fault, you're not alone, and what you do next will always be your choice. 

Are you in Immediate Danger?

Report and Support is not an emergency reporting tool. 

If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured:
  • On Campus, Security: 024 7652 2222 
  • Off Campus, Emergency Services: 999
  • If you are Deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, a Text Phone is available on: 18000

It Happened Recently- No Immediate Danger

It's completely up to you whether or not to report to the police. No one else can or should make that choice for you.

If you do report, a medical examination will usually be carried out to collect any forensic evidence. This is evidence that can be gathered through scientific tests, like DNA from hair or body fluids.

If you’re not sure yet whether you want to report to the police but think you might at some point, you can have a forensic medical examination at your nearest Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC). Here, forensic evidence can be stored for future.

Here is a short video outlining the support available at a Sexual Assault Referral Centre.

Below is a more detailed animation on what will happen when you visit a SARC and the support/ services available:
SARCs Services Animation.mp4 325.88 MB
If you do want forensic evidence to be collected, try and go to the SARC or police as soon as you can, and within 72 hours if possible. 

If you have you been raped, sexually assaulted or sexually abused recently, and you would like forensic evidence to be collected. Try not to: 
  • eat or drink
  • smoke
  • wash
  • brush your teeth
  • change your clothes
  • clean up the place where it happened
This is to preserve as much evidence as possible. 

If you have already done some of these things, don't worry. There might still be forensic evidence to collect.

If you do decide to change your clothes, put the ones you were wearing in a clean plastic bag without washing them if you can.

The Blue Sky Centre is the closest SARC to the University of Warwick.

If you are not on campus or in the surrounding area,
use this tool, to find your nearest SARC. 

Your Health

It might be very difficult to think about straight away but if you've been raped or sexually assaulted by penetration, you could be at risk of sexually transmitted Infections (STIs) or pregnancy.

You can find information on the nearest Integrated Sexual Health Services, and the dates of on campus Sexual Health Clinics here: Sexual Health Services


I would like to speak to someone about my options

If you are not in immediate danger, currently feel safe from harm and do not need to report an emergency - then speaking to someone about your options is a great place to start. 

  • Report and Support: If you submit a report with details, a specially trained Student Liaison Officer or Dignity Contact will be in touch within 2 University Working Days. Your report will not trigger a formal complaints process, and the advisor can confidentially speak to you about both your reporting and support options. You will never be forced to submit a report to the police, or a Formal Complaint to the University- as this is your choice. 
  • Sexual and Domestic Violence Advisor:  The University Outreach SDVA is an independent point of contact for anyone who has been affected by sexual violence and offers emotional support and advocacy to anyone who is in crisis and their supporters. The SDVA can support both students and staff of the University of Warwick.

I would like to formally report what happened

It is entirely within your right to formally report Sexual Misconduct. You can formally report something to the University and/or the police if it constitutes a criminal offence. 
  • Report and Support: If you submit a report with details, a specially trained Student Liaison Officer or Dignity Contact will be in touch within 2 University Working Days. Report and Support advisors can help outline your formal reporting options (for both students and staff), as well as describing what these processes might look like and what an investigation would entail. Student Liaison Officers in particular, can help support students from the start to finish of any formal reporting route. 
We would strongly advise seeking the support of either a Report and Support Advisor or ISVA, if you wish to report something to the police. 
  • Report Sexual Misconduct to the Police:  
    If you’d like to report online, rather than speaking to an officer by telephone in the first instance, you can use their  online crime reporting service which is secure and confidential.
    All reports made using this service are reviewed by our 24/7 contact centre within a few hours and an officer will get back to you in a maximum of two days (although usually quicker). 
If you’d like to talk to someone, the Police's national non-emergency telephone number is staffed 24/7. Call us on 101 and report what happened or just get some advice. If you're deaf or hard of hearing, use our textphone service on 18001 101. 

I would like emotional or more general support

If you would like to speak to someone about how the incident(s) has emotionally affected you, or you would like to use some of the support services below for self-care, that is okay.
On Campus Sexual Misconduct Support Options
Off Campus Sexual Misconduct Support Options 
  • Report and Support: If you submit a report with details, a specially trained Student Liaison Officer or Dignity Contact will be in touch within 2 University Working Days. Please remember that submitting a report with details through Report and Support, means that someone will be able to personally talk you through your support options and tailor advice to your needs. You will never be forced to submit a formal report. 
  • Wellbeing Support Services: The University’s dedicated wellbeing services can support you with practical and emotional issues impacting your wellbeing or mental health and aspects of University life, including referrals for counselling and psychology support. 
  • University of Warwick Health Centre: Are a University practice situated in the heart of the campus serving the Students who live on campus or within the catchment area and Staff (including their family) who live on campus. 
  • Warwick Students’ Union Advice Centre: Is the SU's Advice Centre with expert staff who can provide support, advocacy and advice to students even if they do not wish to report. 
  • Personal Tutors: If your studies have been affected by an incident, your personal tutor could help to explain your options with regards to academic support.
  • Togetherall: Both students and staff can access the online community, which supports populations with their mental health and wellbeing – helping with feels of anxiety, depression, isolation and stress, to relationship problems and lifestyle challenges. Togetherall have a network of trained professionals providing 24/7 support around the world. 
  • EAP: Is a confidential support service designed to help University of Warwick staff deal with personal and professional problems that could be affecting your home life or work life, health and general wellbeing. Health Assured offers cover for you and (in certain circumstances) your immediate family members, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. 
  • Self-help Resources

I would like to access specialist support services

I would like to do nothing

It is okay not to want to do anything at this moment in time. It is entirely your choice. 

If you ever change your mind, just know these support pages will be here to help direct you towards whichever option you wish to pursue. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened